Sunday, July 8, 2012

'63 Corvair, Hopping Puddles at Any Speed

My whole family were big believers in this great little car. My grandparents had two white  matching Corvairs. I remember taking a family vacation from L.A. to Kansas City, MO, once.  I was small, and I remember it being a LONG trip, but we had no problems with the car along the way.
    My first car in high school (1973-75) was a bright yellow Corvair. Four on the floor, mag wheels in the back, chrome in the front, that car was a screamer.
    Got stopped by a cop once, for driving "recklessly" in a neighborhood. I slid around a corner because I had just gone through a puddle. He let me off with a warning and an assurance that I would tell my Dad that I had been stopped. Sure, I did (wink).
    At the car's 1-year anniversary (of me having it), my brother announced that it had been a "pretty good little car," and the clutch pedal promptly FELL OFF not 20 seconds later after patting it on the metal dashboard.
    It never leaked much oil that I remember, but no matter what we did, we could NOT keep the fan belt on it! Not sure why, but my brother still has this same car sitting out in his back forty. --Daniel Cheatham, Lynwood, Calif.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on this car post or send your own car photo to ouroldcar@gmail.com. We'll post it on Our Old Car.