Saturday, August 25, 2012

'95 Mazda "WayCool" Miata


 'WayCool' was my '95 M Edition Mazda Miata convertible. Color: merlot. I'd wanted a Miata since they came out in 1990, but "you know who" always said that it would be impractical. In 1994, we were transferred to Charlotte, NC, from Texas. We shopped for a country property, and my beloved said I could get a horse. But the house we bought near Lake Wylie had no room for a horse, so I continued to dream of a Miata. I had 3 clippings on the refrigerator of the new 95 M Edition--what a beauty!
We had only one vehicle at the time and had been talking about getting a second one, but Alan was still not keen on a Miata. On the 4th of July, on the way to a party at his brother's, we went to a Chrysler dealer and looked at a Sebring convertible, which just didn't do it for me. Lo and behold--kiss my grits--there was a Mazda dealer right next door. I saw the M Edition out front and mentioned that since we were here, we might as well try it out. You should have seen Alan's face the minute he slid behind the wheel. (I let him go first because I knew what would happen, clever, what? ). It worked--we drove it to the party and enjoyed the heck out of it for 7 years. We took road trips all over NC--the mountains, the beach, and in between. WayCool was my baby, and that's the name I put on her vanity license plate. I have so many great memories--some of which can't be printed (ahem). This pic was taken when my sister-in-law and I went to South Port and Folly Beach (near Charleston, SC) for a beach fix. This house was so typically southern, what with the ferns, that we had to stop and gawk and pretend we lived there. Finally, when I moved to Wisconsin, WayCool did truly become impractical, what with the long winters in the Wiz, and the fact that Miatas don't have 4-wheel-drive. I sold her to a girl who had longed for one as I had. She had even joined a Miata club (without a car) because of her love for them. Her name is Amy, and WayCool's new vanity license plate reads "Amyata." --Marcia Gjundjek, Appleton, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on this car post or send your own car photo to ouroldcar@gmail.com. We'll post it on Our Old Car.