Thursday, September 13, 2012

'87 Shelby Charger, Big Car in a Small World

I bought my new Shelby Charger GLHS in November of 1987 after waiting 6 weeks for delivery. That had to been the longest 6 weeks of my life.
    This was no ordinary Dodge Charger but rather a modified product of Shelby Automobiles in California. There were only a thousand of these cars made sporting individual dash plaques with their unique production number. It was a four cylinder turbo engine with modifications that added 40 horsepower. As well, it had European adjustable shocks and tires, with graphics to match the racy hardware.
    I reluctantly sold my dream car five years later in 1992 after realizing that it was not practical for family life.

    Then, in May 2005, I was thumbing through a muscle car restoration magazine and saw a Charger GLHS featured in an article. The magazine was doing a comparison of new and old muscle cars and liked this particular car because of its immaculate condition.
    After reading the article and wishing I had never sold mine, I noticed an emblem on the rear hatch that was not a factory issue.  The emblem was just like the one I had put on my car because I had liked it better than the original. The more I read, the more this car had in common with my Shelby. In fact, the production number on the dash even seemed hauntingly familiar. Is it possible that this car was the same car that I once owned?
    My curiosity got the best of me and I contacted the editor. I wanted to see if the VIN number from the window sticker that I had kept matched the Shelby’s in the magazine. After trading information with the current owner, I discovered that the VIN numbers matched! After almost 20 years, I saw my car again on a grand stage. --Wally Wheeler, Dallas, Texas.

1 comment:

  1. That is a great story, I still have mine... time for a restore... #932

    Sam Rambo

    ReplyDelete

Comment on this car post or send your own car photo to ouroldcar@gmail.com. We'll post it on Our Old Car.